Individual Search Terms Work Best

Monday, February 22, 2010

Question about storing an antique wedding gown from Jan H.

Q. I have my Mom's wedding gown which has been stored in her cedar chest for years.  It is made of lace with a satin petticoat, and has about ten small white pearl type buttons down the back.  It's floor length. It has yellowed with age.  She died recently, but my parent's wedding anniversary would've been 64 years this month, so that is the age of the gown. Now that I have it--I would like to preserve it--though I realize that damage has already been done.

It needs to be cleaned (and although the (reputable) dry cleaner cannot guarantee its condition, I have decided to go ahead with the cleaning.  My question is--what next?  Should I purchase your preservation pack or individual items?  (Do not have any wedding invitations or newspaper announcements.)

I have printed out the instructions from your website--and can easily pick up a Rubbermaid container--so that won't be a problem.

Thanks for your help with this--your website is a great source of information--you must love what you do--helping to preserve a bit of history!

A.Thanks, Jan - I do love what I do - so much that I actually enjoy researching and answering questions.

First let me note that cedar chests should always be lined with triple washed and rinsed muslin or acid free tissue paper.  The aromatic oils in cedar are highly acidic and will cause yellowing and staining when they contact textiles directly.  A buffering layer is essential.

If you are storing just the gown - the tissue alone will suffice. The extras in the kit are nice (I especially like the very fragrant lavender and the Eucalan Lavender Wash!) but the tissue alone offers tremendous benefits in terms of neutralizing environmental acids and acting as a humidity and temperature buffer.

One package of 5 folds of 10 sheets should be enough - and will allow you enough for lightly stuffing the sleeves and bodice.

Please let me know if you have any further questions at all.