Individual Search Terms Work Best

Friday, January 15, 2010

I am inqiring about purchasing blue acid free tissue paper for storing historical garments and need enough for 2 garments. Carol O-G

And parts of my answer:

The whole blue tissue thing has intrigued me for years.  It is mentioned primarily in books over 50 years old.  I've asked lots of elderly women and they remember using it - but did not know anything about what made it especially suited for storage.

The acid free tissue we use now is white.  My best guess is that the older tissue was saturated with a solution of bluing - with the idea that it might prevent 'foxing' or yellowing during storage.

Since bluing is just an optical brightness enhancer, this would not have worked very well.

Guidelines to follow are on our website in the Wedding Garment section. You might be interested in the kit - it contains 30 sheets of tissue and 10 sheets of support tissue and several other products you will find useful.