Individual Search Terms Work Best

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Question from Corey M. about Regenerating 2 gram Silica Gel Packs

Q. I have purchased from you folks twice now and I am extremely happy with the product. I use these packets with my underwater camera, after about 3 dives I change the bags and save them.Now that I am home, can I do anything to 'recharge'  them or should I just purchase more of them from you? Thanks for your great service and product, Corey M.

A.  Hello, Corey:

The manufacturer does not market these 2 gram packets as regenerable.  The older ones we carried (white Tyvek) were definitely not because Tyvek melts at relatively low temps.

That said - we have experimented and found that these clear packets can be microwaved without melting.  They do not seem to work quite as well - so you might want to use them in camera and lens cases, etc. rather than for diving - but I think they might work well for dives where you have not too much of a temperature change.

We have successfully regenerated the gel up to 3 times - with it each time losing a degree of effectiveness.

My supposition is that the mfrg. does not tout regeneration because the encasing film becomes brittle.

You might want to add a bit of nylon (as in stockings) twisted around each nuked sachet to prevent any possible dusting due to  cracking of the film - just to be sure.

Of course - you could also just snip open the packets, microwave the gel until blue again (will not be *as* blue) and use cloth or paper squares to repackage - maybe with a twistie or a small rubber band?

I abhor waste - so go for it and see if it works for you.

Let me know - your feedback will increase my knowledge base for sharing with others!  Please also feel free to post any of my remarks online.  We have a really small advertising budget - to keep costs and prices down...