Individual Search Terms Work Best

Monday, February 22, 2010

How to store crepe and satin shoes with rhinestones from Kim P.

Q. I have found a pair of shoes that I would like to purchase for my wedding in 2 years.
How would I store them to prevent changes in the color and material.  They are white crepe and satin with a rhinestone embellishment.
Your help would be most valuable.

A. They sound gorgeous!

Stuff and wrap them with our archival wrapping tissue to help prevent the metal settings for the rhinestones from tarnishing and staining the satin.  If it is possible to remove the metal and rhinestone pieces and replace them later that would be best, but if you cannot then try to isolate them with strips of the tissue.  Use a shoe box made of polypropylene (Rubbermaid®-type in white). It's an inert material, not airtight and will protect well.

Be absolutely certain to store at room temperature and away from outside walls.  This will lessen the likelihood of condensation causing moisture damage or corrosion.  Use desiccant packs if you live in a very humid area.

Please let me know if I can answer any further questions.

Best Regards - and Best Wishes, too!